Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alabama...check!

We visited our 39th state together this past weekend....Alabama.  We drove down to the Gulf Coast of Alabama and spent 4 nights playing at the beach, swimming in the pool, napping in the condo, and watching cable (we don't have cable so it's a treat).



The resort had an amazing pool.  This picture shows about a 1/4 of it.



I love this picture of Matt and Clark.  I think they look so much alike.  Like father, like son, I guess.

I painted Willa's toenails for the first time.  She must have dug it because she sat very still while I painted and while they dried.

The drive took almost 10 hours on the way there because of a wrong turn and Willa's several potty accidents.  The drive home took closer to 8 hours.  The kids did wonderfully.  We bought a car DVD player so Willa watched movies.  Clark slept most of the way.  We had great weather.  I love taking vacations with my little family of 4.

And here’s a little Clark update:
I can’t seem to figure this little guy out. He is completely different than Willa was in every way. I am having a hard time adjusting to having two kids. Clark is a great sleeper (Willa was not), BUT he’s an unhappy baby when he’s awake (Willa was such a happy little content gal). He always seems to be uncomfortable or in pain and lets us know by whining and squirming and shrieking and crying and screaming. I feel so bad for him. I guess it’s a combination of colic and gas and reflux. I have eliminated dairy and anything remotely spicy from my diet which has helped tremendously. With the diet changes, Clark’s sweetness has started to show for brief moments and we get to see a few more of his happy smiles - complete with TWO little dimples. He is very hard to soothe. He’s a great eater, but nursing doesn’t bring comfort to him like it did to Willa because it is frequently followed by crying from gas or reflux. Clark LOVES motion (Willa - not so much).  He is happiest in his swing, the carrier, or in his car seat in the car.  He hates to lay flat on his back (because of reflux).  He sleeps propped up in the boppy pillow or on his tummy.  I know this time will pass and the true little Clarky will emerge one of these days, but it is hard to lead a normal life while we are in the midst of it.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

first, sorry to hear about Clark being colicky:( It will end at some point, it has to!
The resort looks so fun and your family is beautiful! And another state to add to your list. Woohoo!

Kenna said...

My Sarah was just like Clark. I eliminated dairy and soy which helped some, but she just had to outgrow it. I have blocked from my memory when she actually did. It is tough to have a fussy baby...but lots of people have them and they and their babies survive and are fine! Thoughts and prayers with you!

sinika said...

Linc was a little stinker for the first 8-9 weeks of his life too... just never happy when he was awake, although he slept okay. It's like he couldn't relax and was always stiff... I have pics where I'm holding him like superman and he is like a stiffly stifferton. The only way he was happy is if I was holding him and he was swaddled with a binky. He even hated his swing. My SIL told me her kid mellowed out around 8 weeks, so I was looking forward and hoping that he would too.

Anyway- I'm sorry that little Clark is having a hard time. He's very cute! And I still can't believe you guys have been to 39 states together!

Moe said...

Didn't know you were going to Bama ... looks like a successful trip as the mother of two!